Daily Announcements & Reminders 2014

Check here for the daily announcements for days you miss them in class. 

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Thursday 5/8/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, May 8, 2014, 6:59 AM

Make sure to clean up your "stuff" before the project ends.  Stuff for taking pictures, rooms "unlight-proofed",...

1st & 2nd hour: you still have tomorrow's class.  4th hour: plan to turn your stuff in at the beginning of class tomorrow.

You might want to read through your project description one last time and make sure you've hit all the requirements.  Don't forget to answer your question!

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Wednesday 5/7/14
by Mr. Falk - Wednesday, May 7, 2014, 8:12 AM

When you finish and turn everything in, give me a heads-up and then you can stop doing posts.

Feel free to work on upcoming assignments from the book (see the back wall).

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Tuesday 5/6/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 6:58 AM

1st & 2nd hours - class due at the end of class on Friday.

4th hour - due at the beginning of class Friday.  (I plan to give you two or three minutes to hand stuff in and then we'll do notes...)

Please get everything in on time if at all possible.  Turning something in Monday gives it an 80% ...

Read the rest of this topic
(117 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Friday 5/2/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 7:56 PM

Turn your answer to your question into the green folder when you're done with it.  (Due Thursday 5/8/14.)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Tuesday 4/29/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 7:00 AM

You may want to review your project description and the grading rubric just so you don't get any surprises grade-wise at the end.

Let me know if you want me to get to grading your project so far soon so you know better where you stand on rubric #2 - Familiarizing Yourself with New Physics

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Monday 4/28/14
by Mr. Falk - Monday, April 28, 2014, 6:41 AM

7 - 9 days left depending on if you're going on the class trip.  If you're done with any physical part of your project that needs to be turned in, feel free to do so.

If you have one of my Casio cameras, you need to leave it here in the room each day and then check it out at the end of the day if you want to use it at home.  We have people in other physics classes that need them.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Thursday 3/24/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, April 24, 2014, 6:40 AM

I'm not here tomorrow because of my CEA meeting.  Plan on working in the classroom...

It would probably make your life a lot better in the long run if you sat down, looked at your project description, determined what you have left to do and then looked at how much time you have left to do it.

It has been physically painful for me to see some of you wasting time when I'm pretty sure how far you have yet to go.  I also redid the math in my head last night; if you take the extra weekend to finish your project, it's a 40% deduction in your grade not 20%.  Ouch!

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Wednesday 3/23/14
by Mr. Falk - Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 6:48 AM

In the past I've just checked the notebooks four times, not once every week.  I plan to start going through them again in the next week.  If you want feedback soon and want me to put you closer to the top of the list, please let me know.

Clean up after yourself.

If you haven't put any thought into what your "Final Product" (rubric #5) will look like, you might want to.

Turn in your answer to your question (rubric #4) any time before the end of the project.  Polishing it off sooner might take some pressure off those last few days.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Tuesday 3/22/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 6:56 AM

Today is the last day of week 3.

The end of week 4 is next Tuesday April 29.  Projects should be done Thursday May 8.  (Not "counting as days" the Senior trip or the next day.)

Really good podcast of a talk given by the Calvin College chaplain with practical dating advice on Moodle at the bottom of the first section.  You may want to skip the 4 minute prayer at the beginning.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Monday 4/21/14
by Mr. Falk - Monday, April 21, 2014, 8:09 AM

Please read the grading comments.  Most are doing well.  Some really aren't...

Tomorrow is the last day of week 3.

Rubric #2: Familiarize Yourself with New Physics - it's the one grade that you can keep raising as the project goes on.  For most projects, I will assign an initial grade the next ...

(135 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements (Good) Friday 4/18/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, April 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

Pinhole, Astronomy, and other people using a physical notebook; turn it in at the end of class so I can grade it.  If you want it back before you go home for the weekend, let me know!

Shortened class, keep an eye on the time.  The schedule is on the board.

Text me if you're going somewhere.  ...

(119 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Thursday 4/17/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, April 17, 2014, 8:03 AM

Wind chimes, photo tour, and faith & science are graded.

Photo tour people - if you want to see what shutterfly books can look like, I have three sample photo albums that my wife made.  (You could do that for a "Final Product".  Making them is free and then you could decide whether you wanted to pay to print it or not.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Wednesday 4/16/14:
by Mr. Falk - Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 7:40 AM

Is it bad to have an announcement that I don't have an announcement?

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Tuesday 4/15/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 7:36 AM

Today is the start of week 3.  

Please review your project description.  I started grading week 2 last night and about half the people missed major portions of the required work.  Some years I have students who are REALLY frustrated when they do "A" work on their final product but get a "B-" or lower overall because they skipped many of the required steps along the way.

Some time before the end of the project (three weeks) answer your question and put your answer in the green folder.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Monday 4/14
by Mr. Falk - Monday, April 14, 2014, 6:44 AM

Today is the last day of week 2.  Get those week 2 requirements polished off and progress made on week 3.

Make sure to do a post each day. 

Want/need to leave the room?  Text name(s) & place you're going to 616-240-2251.

Questions submitted before break were eligible for full credit.  (8 ...

(128 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Thursday 4/3/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, April 3, 2014, 11:00 AM

The logout time for Moodle was changed from 30 minutes to 60 minutes...

I'm not counting Spring Break as a week in regards to the project.  The last day of week 2 is the Monday after break.  Have the week 2 requirements done by the end of class the day we return.  Week 3 should end Monday ...

(123 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Tuesday 4/1/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 6:47 AM

Questions (rubric #4) submitted to the green folder by the end of class on Thursday are eligible for full credit.

Week 1 has been graded for everyone.  Check out the comments.

If you have a cell phone, texting 616-240-2251 with your name, where you're going, and names of people going with you is the easiest way to get permission to go somewhere else in the building.  See "Using Building & Resources" for more details.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Monday 3/31/14
by Mr. Falk - Monday, March 31, 2014, 5:01 AM

2nd hour...My announcement regarding submitting you "Question" was poorly worded.  When you turn in your question, please turn it in to the green folder.  At the end of the hour I was told it looked like you had to turn them in on Friday.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.  If you'd like to ...

(212 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Friday 3/28/14
by Mr. Falk - Friday, March 28, 2014, 9:13 AM

Submit proposed "Question" (rubric #4) to the green folder by next Thursday.  Make sure it's approved before working on the answer.  Answer not due until the end of week 5.  (Turn it in when you're done.)

Unless you're astronomy or pinhole person, today in Moodle you should click "Add a new discussion topic" for the 5th time today - making today be your fifth journal entry.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Thursday 3/27/14
by Mr. Falk - Thursday, March 27, 2014, 8:47 AM

Only submit your question (rubric #4) by next Thursday.  I encourage you to not spend time finding the answer until your question gets approved.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Wednesday 3/26/14
by Mr. Falk - Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 7:30 AM

Friday is the end of week 1.  Pace yourself to be done with your requirements then.  You may consider working on physics outside of class time to accomplish that.  :)  Realistically some of you will have some cushion because some projects won't be graded until later on the weekend.

Start thinking of a question you'd like to answer that relates to your project.  They will be due next Thursday.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out Grading Rubric #4.

If you want a pass to leave...I left my phone at home.  Temporary number for today is 616-676-7153.

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Tuesday 3/24/14
by Mr. Falk - Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 7:04 AM

If you miss class, check out the announcements for the day(s) you missed in Moodle.  You're responsible for that information.

Quick refresher on using the building:

While completing these projects, people are going to be working in a variety of different places and using a lot of different ...

(343 words)

Picture of Mr. Falk
Announcements Monday 3/24/14
by Mr. Falk - Monday, March 24, 2014, 10:49 AM

The computers on the tables are the fastest.  Make sure those are used before taking a laptop.

If using a school laptop, pick a computer and write its number on the signup sheet on the pillar near the sink.  Take the same one every time. Put it back in the right slot and plug it in when finished...

(431 words)